Monday, March 4, 2013

LEPRECHAUN's TREASURE HUNT (DIY)

Help the Leprechaun Hide his Treasure
for a St. Patrick's Day Hunt for the Kids
 
Every year on March 17th, we get a visit from a mischievous leprechaun. 
He will move things around the house...
Turn the milk and pancake batter GREEN
 pee green in the toilet, and not flush it...
and hide his treasure, leaving little notes for the children to find....
He's very "awnery" but "nice" in the end, because he does leave treats!
Read to the kids about the leprechans by looking on-line or finding a book at the library.
 
Here's how YOU can help the little guy set up a hunt for your children:


Gather your treasure: Stuff your goodie bags with items of your choice.
I am having four little girls over for St. Patty's day, so I chose:
Bubble Gum
Bubbles
Necklaces
Ring Pops
Butterfly Hair Clips
I purchased all of these, including the bags at the Dollar Tree.
I prefer to make a bag for each child, that way everything is even, and no fighting. 
 
You want to hide the treasure and plan your hunt WAY before you want to have it.
(at least an hour before the hunt)
This will take a little bit of planning and time.
The easiest way to plan a hunt, is to do it BACKWARDS.
1.  Hide the treasure in a spot that it won't be found early by kids or pets.
(I hid the treasure in an ottoman)
2.  Write your first note from your leprechaun. (this will be the "last" note they find). Give him a name and an "Irish" accent.
(This note says:  "Wee Lassies, You found me treasure! Enjoy!  I'll be back next year!"
signed:  Seamus
3.  Put this note with the treasure.

4.  The next note, will be giving hints for the location you just hid the treasure.
(my note says:  "Ye almost caught me! One last stop before I run for ye door...
Is it a table or a foot stool?"  signed: Seamus

5.  Hide this second note in another area - if the note is close to plain sight, I will fold it up and tuck it in a place where it won't be seen right away - like in this tea cup in my curio cabinet.
6.  The next note will give clues to this location (in my case - the cabinet)....and so on.
7.  You can write and hide as many notes as you want, the more the better.
(just remember to work backwards - writing a clue to the location of the last note written)
The kids get sooooo excited, this goes by a lot quicker than you think, because they're RUNNING!
I usually write 8 to 10 notes.

8.  The "last" note I write, is the "first" one they'll find.  So write this note from your leprechaun, "introducing" himself to the kids, and where to find the next clue (the one you wrote right before this one).  I start off the hunt by saying something like: "Guess what kids?  I think I spotted a leprechaun running by over there!" and I point to the area where this introduction note is.  That gets the ball rolling!


Be sure to hide notes OUTSIDE as well as INSIDE if weather is permitting.
Hope you have a lot of fun with your visit from the LEPRECHAUN!

"Keep ye Calm and Kerri ye On!"





No comments:

Post a Comment