Thursday, November 21, 2013

Coffee with Jesus

 A new morning ritual for me
is to have coffee with Jesus.
All of my life, I have started my days
with a shower and breakfast...
as I grew older, coffee was added to the list, sometimes replacing breakfast food.
But that was it.
I would pray every once in a while, but that was always at night.
My day would begin, but I had left something
or rather someone behind...
God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit.
 I am no angel, and nobody special.
I am not learned in the bible or spiritual teachings,
but what I am is a child of God
that wants to know Him better...
to worship Him better.
I know I need to change my daily life -
drastically.
So I have decided each morning to have coffee with Jesus...
no matter how busy my day is, or how late I am running,
I know he is my coffee buddy
and this is an appointment I must not miss...
"What will Jesus reveal to me today?" is the question I find myself asking.
But where to start?
I have never read the complete bible...it can be a little overwhelming.
So I prayed about it,
and I was answered.
This year Jesus wants me to read a daily devotional
to lead me into His word.  So....
What do I bring to my coffee date?
My trusty study bible,
my new "Jesus Calling" daily devotional,
Coffee with Stevia and Caramel Cream,
and an open heart.
 There is a devotional for each day of the year
in "Jesus Calling".
The devotional is written from a perspective
of Jesus speaking to you, the reader.
This is not Jesus' actual words, but written by Sarah Young,
the author of Jesus Calling...
she explains in the book that
the Bible, is the only inerrant Word of God,
the devotional is just to assist us in our relationship with Him.
The devotional  has Bible verses listed at the bottom
of each page to go along with each message.
 I hi-light the verses in my Bible, and read them over,
to make sure I understand them.
Sometimes I have to refer to the study guide at
the bottom of each Bible page,
or refer to the beginning of the Chapter,
to discover more about the setting of what was happening in this particular verse.
There is so much I need to learn.
Yet, that is not all...
 I need this time to 
"Be still,
and know that He is  God."
One of my favorite bible verses
is Proverbs 3:5
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding"
So for now,
 I'll take it one day at a time,
each morning,
having coffee with Jesus.
Keep Calm and Kerri On

No comments:

Post a Comment