Thursday, October 17, 2013

Packing a 3 Day Disaster Emergency Kit

We live in Oklahoma.  Tornadoes.  Need I say more?
So I have decided to prepare by not only ordering
the installation of a Tornado Shelter
but am preparing a kit,
just in case.
Here is a look at most of my supplies...
although I will be getting more food and water together.
I made a small first aid kit by filling a plastic food storage box with:
Band-aids
Non-stick pads
Bandage Wrap Roll
Blistex
Motion Sickness (helps with the stomach bug for us)
Anti-biotic Cream
Other items:
Aleve
Aspirin
Hand Sanitizer
Hydrogen Peroxide
Iodine (to purify water supply)
Toilet Paper
Wet Wipes
Sandwich Bags
My mother always taught me to keep a candle in a can, and have matches handy
at all times, especially when traveling.  The candle will heat up the can and provide warmth.
Candle
Empty Can
Matches in a ziplock bag
Can Opener
Fishing Wire
Duct Tape
Whistle/Compass
Scissors
Multi-tool
Para cord
More Hand Sanitizer
Tooth brushes for each person
(probably need some toothpaste, huh?)
Soap
Food
Enough for each person for 3 days
(I'll be getting more!)
I found a great buy on Mylar Foil Blankets.
They really will keep you warm.
Water
1 gallon per person for one day.
You should have enough for 3 days.
Note to self:  buy some gallons of water!
Be sure to check safety instructions on storing water,
I know they say not to let plastic water bottles get hot.
Keep some markers, paper and large scissors handy.
You might need to leave a note or message at or on your property
after a disaster to let people know you got out, etc.
I stored all of this in a large backpack
(minus the gallons of water).
You should also keep FLASHLIGHTS and BATTERIES.
Update your bag by rotating perishable food out every few months.
 
Now to get the underground shelter installed.
Remember the 5 P's:
Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance!
(thanks to my Dad for teaching me the 5 P's)
 
Keep Calm and Kerri On!

No comments:

Post a Comment