Monday, July 29, 2013

DIY Personalized Canvas with Wedding Date and Bible Verse

I wanted a personalized bridal shower gift for my son and his fiancé.
So I made this canvas below.
If I can do it, so can you!  It was very easy.
Joshua 24:15
I started with an 18" square primed canvas.
I bought this when they were half price at Hobby Lobby.
I think I only paid about $7.
I rough drafted on a piece of paper how I wanted the end product to look.
And then I sectioned off the canvas and blocked in
the colors with acrylic craft paint.
Don't worry too much about this step.
Even if you painted the full canvas one color,
or even left it white - it would look great.
Then I stuck on the adhesive letters
(also at Hobby Lobby for about $4)
The large letters are actually thick paper-mache style ($1 each)
I sprayed them with Elmer's spray glue and let it dry for 5 minutes before
adhering.  This way it was only temporary.
Next step was to take the canvas outside
and spray it with black satin finish spray paint ($3)
Let it dry completely.
Then I used tweezers to remove the stick-on letters.
The larger letters, I saved for another project.
I decided I wanted to "separate" out the bible verse,
so I taped off that section with painters tape
and used a crumpled up paper towel dipped lightly
in light blue paint and dabbed it on.
I like the effect, it stands out better now.
Oops - I forgot to put:  Joshua 24:15....
so I stenciled those in.
This is it on the wall by the window, the morning sun gives it a glare,
but I think it looks pretty good.
So, for under $20 I made a "personalized" shower gift.
Yay!
Keep Calm and Kerri On!
 
 

1 comment: