Friday, August 2, 2013

DIY Couples Shower on a Budget

This post is an "over-all" view
of how I gave a "Couples Shower"
 for my son, Austin and his fiancé, Katlynn,
on a budget.
 
Almost all of the decorations I made myself.
For instructions on each decoration,
please see my blog posts for July and August of 2013.
 
Hope this inspires you to give a Couples Shower
(without breaking the bank)!
 
I had a total of $150 to spend on the shower.
But if you want it even less expensive, I have given other alternatives.
I decided first, what I wanted to splurge money on
and decided: 1.) the invitations
and 2.) the cakes.
Other items that I knew would cost money would be the supplies
for my DIY decorations and favors; gift wrap paper; nuts, mints and teas.
Everything else I needed, I used what I had on hand.
Choose your color scheme.
I chose the colors Purple (Katlynn's favorite color)
and Green (Austin's favorite).
I ordered my invitations off of weddingpaperdivas.com/
You can choose your design as well as colors,
they were very comparable to other personalized sites,
and I was impressed that you can finalize the invitation before printing,
and if you have any problems, they are very easy to work with.
I spent $56 on 30 invitations.
Don't want to spend that much? You can also MAKE your own invitations.
Search Pinterest and other websites for ideas; or buy the "fill-in" invitations
found at discount and drug stores.  You can usually get 12 for under $5.
If you can, start shopping early for party supplies
and the materials for the decorations.
Michael's and Hobby Lobby have great sales each week
and by planning ahead,
you can save LOTS of money.
Decide what type of shower you want.
We chose a couples shower with cake and tea at our house.
Some other options can be:  a barbeque, picnic, a wine party or kitchen party.
...or maybe you just want a "girl" party for the bride: lingerie party, Pampered Chef, Tupperware,
bachelorette party, whatever you decide will be fine.
 
Decide on a focal point.
For this basic couples shower, I chose the table with the refreshments.
Decorate accordingly, carrying over the color scheme.
Consider making your own tissue pom-poms to hang over the cake table.
(for easy instructions, see my previous post)
Will you be serving Cake, Cookies or Cupcakes?
Consider making the cake, cupcakes or cookies yourself.
Even though I love to bake, I knew I had a lot more to do,
so I opted to spend $60 on two cakes, instead of stressing out.
Lemon; and Chocolate Raspberry -
iced the same, with shaved white chocolate.
I saved a little money by decorating the tops of the cakes
myself with silk flowers (purchased 50% off),
I then used my own vases (white milk glass)
to decorate with.
If you are able to buy the flowers at a great price
you can buy extras to decorate around the party location.
When it comes to candles,
I try to purchase white, year around.
This way I can dress up the candles with ribbons
or paper to fit the season.
Search Pinterest and the internet for ideas
for easy DIY shower favors.
I found this idea on Pinterest.
I used Raspberry tea bags (just bought two boxes at Walmart: $3 each)
and made individual little bags tied with ribbon
and sandwiched the string tag between
baby pictures of the bride and groom that I printed myself.
The stickers I purchased on sale, and hand wrote the names,
since I couldn't figure out how to print them.
Everybody at the shower raved about what a cute idea this was.
...and it was only pennies a piece!
For the table decorations:
Don't have a matching table runner?  Try gift wrap paper!
Measure 1/2 the length of the table, add two feet for overhand and then
 cut in half the long way, taping together, folding the sides under. Wah-lah!
To personalize the table more, I purchased simple unfinished wooden letters
at Hobby Lobby and painted them black.
I bought the groom's and bride's first initials: K and A,
and also L for their last name.
They can use these as shelf or wall decorations in their new home.
Another great idea I found on Pinterest
was the rock vase.
Simply find or purchase smooth flat rocks
and metallic permanent pens.
Each guest at the party can write advice or well wishes
to the couple.
Put the signed rocks in a clear glass vase with some
green moss as cushion.
A very stylish keepsake!
Be sure to decorate your door or entrance
into the party.
There are lots of wreath ideas on Pinterest.
I made this myself....the instructions are on another post on this blog.
Give the bride and groom VIP seating
by decorating and labeling their chairs.
Is the couple outgoing enough for a game?
This couple and their wedding party are all about FUN!
So we coupled the bride with the groom
and the bridesmaids with their groomsmen
for a timed game of  "Toilet Paper Brides"
....only the men were to be the brides!
Each was supplied 3 rolls of toilet paper, scissors and tape.
When time was up, we had "the bridal walk" and three judges
(chosen from the guests) rate them each from 1 thru 10.
Everyone had a great laugh!
If this is not your cup o' tea,
be sure to look at other ideas for fun, creative, inexpensive games online.
Be sure to assign one to two people to serve the food.
We served cake, butter-mints, mixed nuts, peach iced-tea
and hot raspberry tea.
Consider using your best china or collectibles instead of paperware.
I used my depression glass and white china.
I used an old silver tea set that I bought at Goodwill for the hot tea.
Make time at the end of the shower for the couple
to open their shower gifts.
Have a volunteer ready with pen and paper
to record the gifts and who they are from.
Before the shower
I supplied the bride and groom with a gift bag
filled with two packages of thank-you cards,
a notebook, nice pen,
and a book of "love" stamps.
Last, but not least,
take lots of pictures....
not only of the bride and groom
but of all their friends and family
who attended the party.
Keep Calm and Kerri On!

No comments:

Post a Comment