Sunday, April 14, 2013

Planting Petunias and Sweet Potato Vine

My mother was a great flower gardener.
She planted flower beds and pots all over our Kansas yard.
She could name all the species and varieties and tell you exactly how to care for them.
I now wish I would've paid attention to her when she tried to teach me.
I just wasn't interested, and thought I never would be.
Now, she's gone...and I'll never have that opportunity again,
at least directly from her.
So now, I have decided to learn as much as I can, in honor of her,
and pass the info along.  My first step was to join a local Garden Club...
the second step, was to search the Internet.
 
Here is the picture I found on the Internet that I just loved!
They are Petunias and Sweet Potato Vines.
So I did some research to find out "if", "where" and "how" I should grow it.
PETUNIAS are an annual (meaning all roots, stems and leaves of the plant die annually)
Petunias do well in full sun, or some shade.
To keep the plant blooming throughout the summer, you should "deadhead" - or "pull off" the dead blossoms.  Petunias can also become gangly, meaning long and stringy, to avoid this, pinch or cut off the top 1/3 of the plants during the summer, to encourage new growth, shoots and blooms.
OK - I think I can do that!
 
SWEET POTATO VINES - I grew one of these in a pot last year, not knowing what it was, or how to grow it (silly me didn't read labels and tags).  But to my surprise - it grew beautifully and was so pretty!  I love the lime green color (it also comes in deep purple and deep green) and it spills out from the pot...very easy to grow.
So Sweet Potato Vines actually do grow sweet potatoes!  I wish i would've known that, as I left the dying plant in the pot and didn't dump it until this spring...finding a few shriveled up sweet potatoes!
It likes full sun, or a little bit of shade, so it's perfect to pair with the petunias! 
So, now it was time to pick my "spot" for the Petunias and Sweet Potato Vine.
I have a full sun garden spot right outside my door, we face South, and it gets a great deal of afternoon sun.
My husband helped me loosen up the soil and add in some Miracle Grow Potting Mix.
I started planting in March (2013) and the Sweet Potato Vines weren't out yet.
But I am NOT a patient person, so I started planting anyway.
I laid out a pattern with my petunias, and used the plastic containers
to mark the spot where I wanted the Sweet Potato Vines to go.
I chose purplish pink petunias to go with the lime green of the vines.
I also chose a Axcent Deep Purple Rock Cress that is also full sun,
just because it was pretty, and I couldn't resist!
When I was happy with the placement of everything, I planted them.
Then low and behold, when the Sweet Potato Vines came out for sale at our local greenhouse, I found even more petunias in a darker purplish pink and bought them as well.
So last night, as the sun was going down, I planted the rest of the bed.
It's not spaced perfectly, but it looks pretty good I think.
Now, as the summer progresses, with lots of water and plenty of sun, as well as deadheading and pinching, I should have a beautiful garden bed full of Petunias and Sweet Potato Vine!
My kitty cat Maizy Daisy (now 18 years old) enjoys the garden too!
Here's a look at the whole front door garden area.
Look at my previous post on how we did the rock garden!
I'll share more pictures and updates as the summer moves on!
 
Thank you for reading!
Let me know what kind of flowers you plant this Spring!
Keep Calm and Kerri On!
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment