Thursday, April 25, 2013

My Attempt at an Herbal Garden

My husband says "H"erbs with a hard H
I say Herbs with a silent H...
but how ever you say it...Herbs are great!
I love to cook with them and make tea.
They're great for medicinal purposes too.

When we purchased our house, this box container was already in the back yard.
The previous owners had tomato plants, garlic and onions planted in it.
That was three years ago.
I planted several herbs last year.
What survived are the following:
OREGANO
(I use this too freshen up store bought Spaghetti sauce and I use it in Meatloaf)
ROSEMARY
(We love Rosemary in just about every savory dish.  Its especially great in homemade Potato Soup)
and SAGE
(I like a little sage in my stew, as well as dried in poultry dishes - think Thanksgiving! 
But we really like to dry it in bundles and throw in the charcoal fire when we grill)
 
 
THEN....
I got ready to plant more herbs, so I worked up the soil,
and unbeknown to me
my husband had planted onion and garlic bulbs.
So here is a picture of my new BASIL plants and some onions coming up!
Basil is my all time FAVORITE herb!
I love it with fresh tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and drizzled with Extra Virgin Olive Oil!
I love it in grilled cheese sandwiches...in eggs...with cream cheese on crackers...
Yumm!
Then I started diggin' holes for:
CILANTRO
(We use Cilantro in our Mexican dishes and in salads and fresh salsas)
My husband makes his own beer and uses Coriander Seeds - which are the seeds from the Cilantro plant - who knew!)
and DILL
(We want to try canning this fall, so Dill will come in handy to make pickles.
It's also great in salads, dips, dressings and on fish)
I also planted a few MARIGOLDS
to keep the bad bugs away!
 
I made sure all of my herbs were labeled this year.
If you don't have labels, consider making some yourself like I did
using broken clay pots and even rocks.
I used a Sharpie pen to label them.
Well,
Wish me luck!  I hope the weather cooperates and the Herbs grow!
What herbs are you planting this year?
 
Keep Calm (planting your herb garden) and...
Kerri On!

No comments:

Post a Comment