Saturday, April 6, 2013

Upcycle an Old Grill into a Container Garden

What to do with an old grill?  Trash it? Sell it? 
How about giving it NEW life by
UPCYCLING it into a planter?
This is our old Weber grill. 
We got some really good use out it.
Last father's day, we gave my husband a new
 grill and smoker.
Ole Weber just has a great shape and wheels to boot...
so I turned it into a container garden.
Step 1:  After removing the racks and dumping the ashes,
I scrubbed it thoroughly with baking soda and vinegar.
Rinsing it completely.
-
Step 2:  I closed the vents half-way, and put a broken clay pot and some rocks
in the bottom to help with drainage.
-
Step 3:  Fill up the Weber with good potting soil, like Miracle Grow.
Decide where your Weber Garden will be placed BEFORE picking out your plants.
Mine will be on the back porch under the pergola where it gets a lot of shade.
When picking plants for a container, remember these THREE:
THRILLER (a tall plant to give height)
FILLERS (plants to "fill" in the space)
SPILLERS (a trailing plant that will "spill" over the sides)
My part sun / shade loving plants:
Draceana (my thriller)
Pink Polka Dot Plant (a filler)
a blue Lobelia (another filler)
My spillers:  an English Ivy
and Sweet Potato Vine (which is not for sale yet)
Step 4:  Place your plants on top of the soil and arrange them
the way you want them planted.
*note:  it is too early to purchase my favorite spiller plants -
Sweet Potato Vines (they are a beautiful lime green color)
so I designated an area before planting the others.
Step 5:  Dig a hole for each plant and place inside. Keep in mind to never place a plant deeper than the place where the soil is at the plant already. Make sense?...now fill in with soil around the plant, and pat into place.
Step 6:  Water thoroughly - but don't drown them!
Step 7: Read and keep the instruction tags for future reference. 
 Watering the plants according to directions.
I can't wait for my Weber Garden to grow and flourish.
I hope you are inspired to Upcycle a grill (or something else!)
into a garden.
Keep Calm and Kerri On!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment