Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Recipe: Fruit Cocktail Cake

My son Austin brags about his future mother-in-law's Fruit Cocktail Cake.  I knew I had tried one before and low and behold my sister, Lindy gave me a book of my late mother's recipes, and there it was....the first page!  So when Austin came to visit this Christmas I made my mother's version (doubling the recipe).  Not quite what he is used to, but I think it passed his approval.  This cake is moist and sticky - yummy!  The above picture was taken "before" it was baked. It disappeared before I could take an "after" pic.   Here's the recipe, I highly recommend it! 

   2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
2 tsp soda
1 15oz can Fruit Cocktail (drained)
1 egg
 
Mix dry ingredients.  Add fruit cocktail and egg.  It seems very dry at first, but it will all mix in.  Pour into an ungreased 8"x8" pan and sprinkle the top with 1 cup of brown sugar and 1 cup chopped pecans (optional).  Bake at 325 degrees for 45 - 50 minutes.
 
While cake is still warm, prepare the butter sauce....In small saucepan melt and combine: 
 



1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Half 'n Half
1 stick butter
 
Pour butter sauce evenly over the cake.  Serve warm or cold.



No comments:

Post a Comment