Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Upcycle a Vintage Lunch Box

Last weekend, my friend Teresa took me garage selling in Mulvane, Kansas.
Oh boy, did we hit the jackpot!
One of my finds was this lunch box.
It was marked $5, but after considering it for a while, I put it back on the table.
When the lady saw this, she said, "How about a dollar?"
"Sold!"
I decided to UPDATE it, by painting it.
After washing it, inside and out,
 I taped off the handle, hinges, and closures.
Then I wiped the outside with Rubbing Alcohol
to remove any residue.
Because it is metal, and had some rust,
I sprayed it with a primer first.
I did this step outside.  Remember you need a lot of ventilation.
I mixed three shades of acrylic craft paint
to get the perfect Turquoise.
Then I brushed on 3 light coats of paint,
letting it dry for an hour between each coat.
Then I sprayed it with a clear coat.
(it looks more blue in this picture - but is actually more Turquoise)
I can use the Lunch Box for many things,
like a display for plants, or atop books, to hold makeup
or craft supplies, or even as a lunch box - imagine that!
But I'm going to use it now,
as a purse!
I tied on a scrap piece of fabric and one of my mother's vintage flower pins.
Inside is plenty of room for my makeup bag, billfold and other necessities.
Just think, this was only a dollar!
from THIS
to THIS!
With just a little imagination, paint and elbow grease!
Thank you for reading.
I hope you save somebody Else's trash and turn it into a treasure!
Keep Calm and Kerri On!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment