Monday, June 10, 2013

Beets from the Garden

We grew some beets in our garden plot at the Community Garden (The Garden of Eatin')
They were a little "over crowded" when they came up....
because my son wasn't interested in helping,
so he just dumped his seeds in one spot!
I tried to spread them out and thought we could thin them later,
but this Spring has rained A LOT and we never made it back down
until it was time to harvest.
Yet, still, the beets were gorgeous!
I forgot to take a picture of ours, so I borrowed the pic above from the Internet,
but ours looked just like them.
So how do you prepare beets?
I have no idea!  I usually get them in a can.
So I searched Pinterest, and found a pin that suggests roasting them in balsamic vinegar.
So that's what I did!
I washed and sliced them....
Ooooh! Pretty bright fuscia color!
Laid them out in my 9"x13" baking stone,
drizzled with about 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar,
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil,
salt and pepper.
I baked these for about 40 minutes at 400 degrees,
until tender.
I thought I took a picture when they were done,
but guess I skipped that step because they looked so delicious,
I just dug in!
They were crisp around the edges and tender in the middle.
The balsamic vinegar gave them an extra kick,
they became sort of caramelized.  Mmmmmmm.
Nom...nom...nom!
How do YOU fix your garden beets?
Keep Calm and Kerri On!



2 comments:

  1. Kerri- what did you do with the greens from the beets?? Have you ever had them?? They are WONDERFUL!!! You just wash them put them into a pot and fill pot with warm water. Bring to a boil, drain water off and fill with cold water just covering the greens. Boil again and lower the heat to slow boil for about 10 minutes or until greens are tender. IF you are a bacon typer person you can put bacon or ham in with the last boiling, ubt they are great on their own without the added fat. Season to taste with salt, pepper, pepper sauce. OMG -they are the best greens out there!! :~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sounds wonderful Robin! Thank you, I'll try that with the next bunch we harvest - which will be soon!

    ReplyDelete