Friday, June 21, 2013

Reannon's Dogs Portraits

Just finished up two new dog portraits:
A couple of cuties!
TRUMAN
FINLEY
The process:
I started with two 8" square stretched and primed canvas
and two close-up pictures of the cute pups.
I used acrylic paints in bottles.
I like to use these paints because of their color consistency,
vibrancy and texture.
To choose a background color:
I decide what the strongest colors of each subject are:
Finley - yellow
Truman - white w/pink/orange accents
...and then painted each canvas with the opposite color...
opposite of yellow is purple;
opposite of pink/orange is turquoise.
These colors will contrast and bring out the best color situation for each painting.
After the first layer of color was dry -
I drew a simple sketch onto the canvas with white chalk.
Then started blocking in color.
Being sure to let each layer dry completely.
Always checking back to the original pictures for clarity.
Blocking in more similar colors on both paintings.
Lots of turquoise, purple, pink, orange and yellow
at this stage.
I stepped back and re-considered the picture.
Looking at it from a fresh point of view...
deciding to lighten up the main background colors a little...
a shade lighter of the turquoise and purple.
After all color was blocked in on the animals, I chose the secondary background colors,
in this case I added a bright red behind Truman
and a bright orange/red underneath Finley.
I added in the darkest of darks (eyes and deepest folds)
and the lightest of lights.
"Truman"
"Finley"
I am very happy with the way these portraits turned out.
My client is happy too!
(always be sure to sign every piece of artwork you complete!)
Keep Calm and Kerri On!

No comments:

Post a Comment