Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Our Four Legged Family Members

Claw-dia Monet
3 years old
Claw-dia was adopted when she was 1 1/2 years old.
She was one of 18 black cats at the Washington County SPCA.
We had recently lost our 15 year old kitty "Wednesday" to cancer,
and I decided we needed to save a pound kitty...Wednesday would've liked that.
I told the SPCA helper what kind of cat we were looking for:
one that could be outdoors, friendly with other cats and dogs,
and one that would like to chase squirrels....and preferably a black cat
(as I know these are the least adopted pets).
They brought out "Ace" as her name was then.
She curled up in my husbands arms.
And that's all it took!  She has now been with us for over a year!
She still loves my husband's arms - but only comes to us when I call her.
We love our CLAW-DIA!
Odin Von Fleming
2 years
Odin is our full blood Doxie.
We got him the same day we had to put our other doxie, J.D. to sleep.
I would now recommend waiting before adopting another pet so soon.
It was quite an emotional ride...but I wouldn't trade him for anything.
We adopted him when he was just 6 weeks old.
My then 11 year old son, Sam, thought he needed to be named "Odin" which is Thor's father.
He also thought he needed to be German....where supposedly Dachsund's come from.
He is our "lover" dog.  He loves the attention and will "talk" with us.
He is so cute and smart, well, ok - not so smart, but he is cute!
 Always happy, happy, happy!
He just thinks he has to whiz on everything!
I would definitely compare his personality to Odie in the Garfield cartoons!
Maizy Daisy
18 years old
I've had Maizy longer than I've known my husband.
When Gary and I first met, Maizy was a kitty cat and Gary had a puppy named Tank
(the biggest in the litter of Huskies)
Maizy thought she was the boss and terrorized Tank, until he had enough
and he SAT on her!
She then decided to leave him alone.
Maizy started out as an inside kitty so I de-clawed her
 (I won't ever de-claw a cat again, by the way)
but she got out one day and refused to come back in...so now she is strictly an outdoors cat.
But she did climb trees for years!  It didn't matter to her that she had no claws,
she figured it out!
Now I think it's mean to de-claw a cat....I've learned my lesson. 
Sorry Maizy.
She is now 18 years old...and much sweeter than she used to be.
She's always been so beautiful...temperamental....but what cat isn't?
Barlow Girl N.D. Fleming
5 months old
Barlow is our newest edition.
We lost our 14 year old chow, Tillie, three months before we could get another dog.
But I know Tillie would want her empty place to be used by a pound puppy.
First, we looked at adult dogs to give a good home to, at the SPCA...
But none of the personalities would work with our "multiple pet home"....
so we looked at a litter of 10 pups...
all of the puppies ran, falling over each other to get to us....
except one...Alice, as she was called then.
She stayed back, sat, wagged her tail and looked up, straight into my eyes.
That was it!  She's my dog!
I tried to name her after a flower, like Poppy, or Posy...but my boys vehemently refused.
So, I named her after my favorite Christian Band...."Barlow Girl".
And I must say, now, she is my dog.....my husband has chosen her middle name to be N.D.
which is short for "No Dammit" ....she digs up everything,
and when nervous, she'll pee, right then and there, and then wag her tail in it....
splattering her "daddy" one time...hence the name N.D.
Yet, even though she digs up my beautiful garden and bowls over the other dogs and cats....
I still love her. She's my Barlow Girl.
Pablo Picasso Fleming
10 years old
This is my baby...and he knows it.
It doesn't matter that he's the smallest animal at our house... he rules the roost.
We adopted Pablo Picasso at the "Chicken House Flea Market" in Stephenville Texas
in August of 2003.
He was born the day before my Grandmother Hicks passed away.
I used some money that I inherited from her to purchase him.
He was supposed to be a "tea-cup" Chihuahua.
But he grew...and grew...and grew!
We found out he's part rat terrier,
but that doesn't matter...he's my Pablo Picasso!
My buddy.
 
Our four-legged family members bring so much to our lives!
Keep Calm and Kerri On!

No comments:

Post a Comment