Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Freezing Fresh Herbs in Olive Oil

I found a great pin on Pinterest about freezing your fresh herbs in Olive Oil.
Here is the link to that web page:
I have an herb garden out back and the herbs are growing very fast.
So I have been harvesting them.
I could dry them - but I really like to use fresh herbs in my cooking.
So the pin I found was perfect.
I cut off about 1/3 of the Rosemary, Sage and Oregano and rinsed them.
Then I chopped them coarsley with a knife
and put a heaping teaspoon into each icecube partition.
Then I poured in enough Extra Virgin Olive Oil
 (EVOO as Rachael Ray would say)
 to cover the herbs (about two tablespoons).
I then put the trays in the freezer overnight.
They popped out very easily
but the oil began melting quickly.
I popped them into bags that I had already labeled,
and back into the freezer they went.
Now I can have the perfect little cube of herbs and oil to
 cook, roast or season,
such as:  Poultry, steaks, veggies, casseroles,
 really anything that I would normally flavor with my herbs. 
 This way I can keep harvesting my herbs without having to dry them,
 or freeze them dry and risk freezer burn.
Thank you Pinterest!
Keep Calm and Kerri On
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment