Thursday, May 30, 2013

What is the Plural of "Iris"? Huh...

Wikipedia says:
 
Iris is a genus of 260–300[1][2] species of flowering plants with showy flowers. It takes its name from the Greek word for a rainbow, referring to the wide variety of flower colors found among the many species.[3] As well as being the scientific name, iris is also very widely used as a common name for all Iris species, though some plants called thus belong to other closely related genera. A common name for some species is 'flags', while the plants of the subgenus Scorpiris are widely known as 'junos', particularly in horticulture. It is a popular garden flower.
 
MY IRIS:
I definitely don't have a green thumb,
but I'm trying to learn.
Fortunately,
with Iris,
You don't have to have much talent,
in order to have beautiful blooms!
These pictures are of my Iris
that my husband and I have planted the last few years.
All we did was stick the bulbs in the ground,
and "up" they came in the Spring.
I don't know the names of each variety,
but hope to learn more.
In the mean time,
I'll enjoy their beauty,
for however a short time they bloom..
When the Iris are a few days old,
they begin to wilt, as above,
but their beauty is still amazing!
I did learn to plant the bulbs in threes,
sort of in a triangle.
If you would like to learn more about growing
IRIS
like I am.....
check out the Internet....
there are lots of websites just for Iris!


No comments:

Post a Comment