Tuesday, February 5, 2013

DIY GARDNER'S HAND SCRUB

"The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses."   ~Hanna Rion
Well, the groundhog did NOT see his shadow.
So that means Spring is just around the corner!
Time to get ready to garden!
What gardner doesn't  need a great hand scrub?
The following recipe is for a very simple DIY Hand Scrub.  Make some for yourself or give to the gardners in your life.
It only takes TWO ingredients!
Granulated Sugar
and your favorite dish soap
(I used Dawn Hand Renewal in Pomegranate Splash Scent, this soap is conditioning to your hands, is a pretty pink color and smells awesome!)
(My husband digs in the garden too....he prefers the scrub made with the original blue Dawn).
 
You will also need one or more containers with sealable lid(s).
Mix 4 parts sugar to 1 part dish soap.  Mix completely.
 
Recipe for 32oz.:
4 cups sugar
1 cup dish soap
Mix Completely in a large bowl.
 
*Keep in mind that you can mix up as little, or as much as you like. 
*If you want to make just ONE jar, fill it up w/sugar 4/5 of the way, and add the dish soap the rest of the way.  Then stir to combine.
 
I purchased one dozen quilted jelly jars (4oz) with lids, bands and labels.
This box was under $8 at Walmart.
I am making the Gardner's Hand Scrub for the Gardening Club I recently joined. I wanted my jars attractive.  I dressed them up by cutting out circles of gift wrap paper.
I used the inner circle on the jar bands as a template and glued the paper onto the lids.
Pretty, pretty.
Fill the jars (almost) to the top.  I used an icecream scooper (two scoops!).
My recipe of 4 cups sugar to 1 cup soap made 32oz. filling up 8 of my 4oz. jars.
Top with lids and bands, add a label and wah-lah!

The consistency of the scrub is like a gritty paste.  The sugar helps clean out the hard to reach dirt under fingernails.
This in NOT a perishable item....it does not need to be refrigerated.  I don't know what the shelf life is, but we've had some from last year, and it is perfectly still good.  We keep it under the kitchen sink.
Hope you enjoy gardening this year.  Dig deep in the earth and enjoy getting dirty, knowing you can clean up quick with "The Gardner's Hand Scrub"!
Thank you.
Keep Calm and Kerri On!


 





1 comment:

  1. I'm considering starting a garden in our new backyard this spring! I have eczema on my hands really bad, and dawn is the only soap that I don't seem to have a reaction to. I will definitely be trying this! =)a

    ReplyDelete