Thursday, February 7, 2013

TASTE TEST: Oreo's vs. WhoNu

 
Nom...nom...nom...
LOVE the taste of Oreos?  Me too!  But I have been concerned with calories and sugars lately so I decided to do a taste test using WhoNu as the competion.  WhoNu is supposed to be the "healthier" version.  Well, lets see....First, a little comparison!
I sent my son to the cookie isle to pick up these two cookies.
It wasn't until I got home, I saw he picked up the "Double Stuf" Oreos".  Who woulda guessed?
But that's OK - I remember exactly what the regular Oreos are like.
  
The Chocolate wafer cookie:
WhoNu was just a fraction of a bit thicker than Oreo.
The WhoNu was crisp.
The Oreo was crisp.
The WhoNu had a rich chocolate taste.
The Oreo has a deeper, darker chocolate taste.
The Creamy Filling:
WhoNu was creamy in consistency and had a slight "pink" color.
Oreo was not as creamy, more of a "dense" consistency, and "white" in color.
WhoNu tasted very "natural", not processed, like something Mom would've made.
Oreo filling tasted like white sweet frosting. Very good, but tasted "store bought".
I like to eat my cookie "together" not separated.  So, I guess I'll just HAVE to eat two more cookies!  mmmm.....Ok...again, the WhoNu tastes more homemade.  But I have to say the Oreo tastes comforting....because I've eaten them my whole life.  So both, taste great. Well, that's good!
 
Over All My Opinion in Taste:
The WhoNu tastes more homemade.  I give it **** (4 stars)
The Oreos are richer in Chocolate taste.  I give it **** (4 stars)
Wow!  A TIE so far! 
So, lets check out the ingredients list and nutritional value of BOTH products:
 
WHONU
Click on the Link above to see WhoNu's page for nutrition and ingredients.
Serving size:  3 cookies; 150 calories; 6 g fat (1.5 sat.; 0 trans)
 
OREO
Click on the Link above to see Oreo's page for nutrition and ingredients.
Serving size: 34 g (I'm guessing about 1-1/3 cookies?); 160 calories; 7 g fat (2 sat; 0 trans)
 
* Be sure to look up the ingredients and other nutritional info on their links, too much to list here.
 
Wow!
The short of it:  WhoNu is a little bit healthier for you than Oreos.
But still, the ingredients aren't super healthy:  no whole wheat flour, organic sweetners, etc...
 
But the little difference means a lot to me. This girl will be buying more "WhoNu"s in the future.
Does this mean I will never buy "Oreo"s?  No...just probably not as much.
 
Why don't you try your own TASTE TEST....see what YOU think!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment