Saturday, January 5, 2013

My Favorite Laundry Products

I never thought I would like doing laundry.  But with the help of Pinterest and The Big Bang Theory, I have found some great products that make the job more enjoyable.  The recipe below is one I found on pinterest, but I amped it up a bit to make it great smelling, as well as great cleansing. All products can be found at Wal-Mart.

SMELLY GOOD LAUNDRY DETERGENT RECIPE
 

 
3 cups Borax Powder
3 cups Washing Soda
3 bars of Fels-Naptha (grated)
1/2 bottle of Downy Un Stopables
 
Combine all four products in a large gallon plastic container.  Use 1 Tbsp. per load, or 2 Tbsp. for large load.  (I keep a smaller batch in a Mason Jar and tuck in a Tablepoon in an elastic band stretched around the jar.)  Very inexpensive and smells wonderful. I know the Un Stopables aren't considered "green" like the other products - but I really like the smell of them....feel free to delete this from the ingredients and use up to 15 drops of essential oil per recipe, or go without extra scent.  I've never wanted to go back to store bought detergent. 
 
MAKE YOUR OWN FELTED WOOL DRYER BALLS
 
Replace dryer sheets with felted wool balls.  Why? ...you may ask?  Felted wool bars are eco-friendly, fun to make and help dry your laundry faster and help reduce static.  You can also add a few drops of essential oils to each ball to give a nice refreshing scent to your laundry. Plus it will save you lots of money.
 
All you have to do is purchase one skein of 100 percent Wool Yarn. Around $6 at craft or fabric stores.  Wrap into balls a little smaller than tennis balls.  You should get 6 - 8 balls depending on the size of your skein.  To felt the balls:  Cut off a full leg of a pair of panty hose.  Drop the balls all the way down to the toe.  Tie off using string or yarn (just don't use wool yarn, as you do not want the ties to felt) inbetween each ball, making each one tight inside the hose.  Now wash with clothes of similiar color.  Throw the "ball snake" into the dryer and dry completely.  When done, cut off the hose to expose the felted wool balls.  Notice how the fibers have connected the strings together.  It will not unravel now.  Use 2 to 8 balls per load.  The more balls added to a load, the quicker it will dry, as the balls separate the clothes allowing the air to circulate better.  Just keep using them over and over, no need to wash the balls again.  They should last you for years, and save you lots of money!
 

 
Did you notice I mentioned The Big Bang Theory earlier?  This is the television show on CBS and reruns are on TBS.  My family just loves this show.  I noticed a product that Sheldon Cooper was using to fold his clothes and I just HAD to have one (see the blue flip fold in the picture above?).  So I searched the internet...fortunately I checked out all of the reviews before buying one, as there are many cheap knock-offs of this product.  It is called The Flip Fold and is made in the USA.  You can buy an adult sized flip fold for under $20.
http://www.flipfold.com/FlipFold-s/37.htm  I love my flip fold and have given one to my college son in his favorite color of green.
 
And that's it!  Please feel free to leave comments below.  Hope you try these great product and recipes, I believe you will be happy you did.  Thanks!  Kerri
 


4 comments:

  1. question about drier balls: how many do you use to eliminate static?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband says he still notices static in our clothes. So I did some research and have found that you can use a sheet of aluminum foil and wad it up into a ball. Use this with the dryer balls (should last several loads) and see if this works. I will try it and update on here.

      Delete
  2. Do you mind posting step by step pictures of the balls sometime? I think I have it, but I'm a visual learner. Also, I realize my comment about where to get a flip fold is now null because it is posted here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do that Liesa. I need to get some more Wool yarn. I didn't think to take the pics when I made the last one. I will make a new post when I do this. Thank you for requesting!

      Delete