Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Turn a book into a Kindle Cover

I was at Goodwill yesterday and purchased two books for $1 each.  I had already read them - great books, in fact, I may have been purchasing my own books back since I frequently donate to Goodwill.
I purchased them with the sole purpose of upcycling them into covers for my Kindle.  I know some may think this is a waste of a book, but they were already at Goodwill, so I don't feel too bad.
To make your cover you'll need:
   A hardback book slightly larger (In length, width and depth) than your Kindle
   A ruler
   Scissors or rotary cutter
   A box knife
   Decorative Papers of your choice
   A Cutting Board
  Stick On Velcro  (I used 4"x2")
  Felt Pad Dots
  Glue Stick or Spray Adhesive

1.  Open up the book and cut/slice down the pages on the spine, repeat on the back (be careful not to cut into the actual spine of the book, you only want to cut out all of the pages) Remove the pages.

2.  Now measure the front inside cover from the left edge of the book to 1" past the right edge of the spine.  Cut decorative paper to the measurements.  I used a glue stick to cover entire paper, but you can use spray adhesive (be sure to spray in a well ventilate area). Weight this area ( I used heavy books) to help the adhesive stick.

3.  Now measure from the right side of the spine to the right edge of the back page.  Glue on, overlapping the previous page. Weight this area as well.

4.  Attach the "soft" sides of two Velcro strips to the back of your Kindle, making sure not to cover any important print, or speakers.

5.  Attach the "loop" side directly on top of the "soft" velcro on the Kindle.  Peel off the plastic or paper to reveal the adhesive, carefully center the Kindle on top of the RIGHT side of the open book.  Press lightly.  Leave in place several hours before attempting to remove.  ( I recommend the first few times you take your Kindle off the Velcro, that you slide a spatula or butter knife between the velcro pads, this will ensure that you don't pull the paper off the back - I learned the hard way. lol)

6.  Attach the felt dots to the left side of the open book, where they will rest and protect the Kindle when closed.

7.   Now you are done.  You can leave the book cover off, or attach it as I did by cutting the inside flaps to about 1/2" and glue only the 1/2" down.

Yay!  I am very happy with my two Kindle Book Covers, no sewing, hardly any money and they're just my style. 

I hope you make your own Kindle, Nook or ipad cover.  Please post pictures if you do! - Kerri




2 comments:

  1. Thank you! I found, some DVD cases - like the ones that hold two or more DVDs will also work to make your own holders. Simply pop out the insides and cover w/paper like the book above. Use the velcro too. I'm making one with "Pearl Harbor" the movie - we can't find one of the discs.

    ReplyDelete