Thursday, January 31, 2013

DIY Magnetic Board for Your Cosmetics

Very simple!  Make your own Magnetic Board to hold your cosmetics.
I don't have a lot of cosmetics, but I have enough that it's hard to keep them organized.
What better way to keep them visible and at hand than to create a Magnetized Board.
This is an inexpensive, fairly easy craft.
 
Before
This is what my vanity looked like before...not too bad, but not too good, either. 
 
 After
The board gets just enough of my clutter up and out of the way...plus there's room to spare if I decide to add more items as my makeup collection grows.
 
 INSTRUCTIONS
SUPPLIES:
frame
scissors
tin shears or heavy duty scissors
metal sheet
work gloves
permanent marker
spray adhesive
decorative papers
assorted magnets
your cosmetics
First of all, pick out a frame.  I happened to have a picture frame with broken glass.  I decided to use it because it was the perfect size.  I wanted something small to hang just below my bedroom window where I have my vanity table.  My frame measures 10"x22".
Remove the glass and paper inserts, you will not need them.
Purchase a metal sheet, either at a hardware or craft store. (I found one at Hobby Lobby for $11)
Now, use the back board that was in the frame to trace the measurement onto the metal with a permanent marker, a pencil did not transfer.
Cutting the metal sheet was the only hard part.  I found out I'm a bit of a wimp when it came to working the shears.  The metal is thick and sharp....wear gloves!  If my husband was home, I would have batted my eyelashes and baked him some cookies, so he'd cut it for me, but I didn't want to wait that long, he was at work.  So I used what little muscles I have and I gotter done.  Just call me Rosie!
After the sheet is cut to size, spray it with adhesive (in well ventilated area) and place glue side down onto the back of the paper.  It is easiest to have the paper flat on the table and position the metal on top, than the other way around, avoiding bubbles or creases.
Trim the paper around the metal sheet. 
Pop the paper covered metal and backboard into the frame and secure.
                          To hang,  I used Command Picture Hanging Strips...two on each side. 
 This is my favorite way to hang pictures - they don't damage the walls.
This is a close-up of the paper I chose. There are so many different looks to be achieved, simply by the paper you choose.  Pick something that really speaks to you...a bold print, simple stripe, chevron patterns, paisley....it's all up to you.  After I glued the paper and metal together, I had to test it with a button magnet - Yep! It works!
Time to glue the magnets onto the back of your cosmetics.
This is a great time to sort through your stuff and get rid of any old makeup and clean the containers.
Be sure to peel off any stickers on the bottom to ensure a secure adhesion to the magnets.
I used magnetic tape, cut to size for larger items.
Trial and error:  if a makeup container has an indention on the bottom, magnetic tape won't work.
Use button magnets for these.  Self adhesive ones are fine or use a dot of E-6000 to attach.
Let the glue dry completely before placing on the board.
I even attached a magnet to a metal tube container and use it to hold some brushes.
You are ready to place your cosmetics on the board - anyway you want! 
Hang the board in a convenient place.
It's soooo pretty. Just look what you created! Not only is it useful, but it's wall makeup ART!
I was on a roll, so I changed out my brush and lip color containers. 
 
 I purchased simple square glasses (Hobby Lobby $3.29 each)
and filled them 2/3 full with whole coffee beans (smells great!)
I used one for my brushes and the other for lip stains and glosses.

I keep a square plate handy for my oils and moisturizers as well as a little blue jar with my little perfume samples. I upcycled a wooden jewelry box that my sister Lindy gave me to hold  more cosmetics and it has a nice sized mirror on the inside lid.  I keep a bright lamp on the table as well.  We need great lighting when making ourselves beautiful!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.
Keep Calm and Kerri On! 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment