Monday, January 7, 2013

Zentangling - You can do it too!

 
Below is one of my Zentangles.  I started it by tracing around my hand!
 
 
I love to zentangle!  Never tried it?  Never even heard of it?
Well, it's cheap, fairly easy and relaxing!
 
The short definition: Zentangle is an easy to learn method of creating beautiful images from repetitive patterns. It was developed by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts of Zentangle, Inc.
 
So, a "zentangle" is a doodle, a structured doodle that is.
 
 
Supplies to create your own? 
1.  Sharpie pens in fine tip and ultra fine tip....or other art felt markers with different sized tips.
2.  Paper (start small...4"x6" or 5"x7")
 
The easiest way to start a zentangle is with a major shape like a circle (trace around a glass or other item) or draw around your hand. Now draw random lines, wavy or straight across the paper at different angles.  When doing this step, keep your movement fluid by moving your whole arm, keeping it from touching the table.  You may want to practice fluid movements by just drawing wavy lines on a scrap paper.   
 
Remember to relax, this is to be an enjoyable, stress free time to create artwork. When drawing the smaller doodles, feel free to rest your arm on the table, still keeping your hand relaxed. There is no right or wrong way to doodle your zentangle.
 
1.   In each enclosed space, create a small doodle, and repeat it.
 
2.   If the shape of a space looks like something to you (ie: leaf or eyeball), draw it into the space (notice in my picture I have a leaf, seashell, flower and even the tip of my finger).
 
3.   You can also fill a space with one word or a phrase. 
 
4.  Be sure to save a small space for you to write in your signature - making it part of the artwork.
 
 5.  If you run out of ideas for patterns, try searching "zentangle" on the web (print some out)....there are lots of ideas. 
 
6.   If you don't like the result of your zentange, you can always trash it and start over, afterall  its just paper.  Have fun! 
 
 Now, Relax, Feel the Zen, and Doodle Away!
 

2 comments:

  1. I adore this idea. I have never felt artistic with pen/paint, etc. like my brother, but rather musically artistic. BUT! I do love patterns and actually have created much simpler and similar art like this on Paint on my computer. This can be great stress relief from graduate school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I know what you mean - it is a great stress reliever. Keep it up and feel free to share your artwork with us, Liesa!

      Delete