Monday, January 21, 2013

UPCYCLE A BELT INTO A CHUNKY BRACELET

 
My friend, Teresa, came for a visit yesterday, and she had the "most awesome" (yes, I grew up in the 80's!) bracelet.  It was made out of a recycled belt!  
What an eccentric piece of jewelry....so,  I just had to have one myself. I grabbed Teresa and we headed to the local Goodwill and we found the perfect belt to make a bracelet!
 
And you can make one too:  SKILL LEVEL:  Very Easy!
Supplies Needed:
1. A belt with a chunky buckle
Be sure to choose a belt with the hook "underneath" the buckle - as shown below.
2. scissors
3. colored pencil or marker
4.  An Ice Pick
5. A cutting board
6.  Craft Glue (if needed)

1.Have an assistant (yes- we are professionals here!) help you hook the belt around your wrist comfortably (not too tight, but exactly how you want it to fit), tucking the belt end through the loop(s) and cut the excess off about  3/4 inch below the loop (just cut straight across, you can shape it later) .  Most loops to hold the excess are very close to the buckle, like the one above.
 
2. Holding the buckle in place, double check the fit of the bracelet.  Then mark the "spot" that the buckle hook will need a hole.
 
3.  Take off the bracelet and lay it flat, right-side up on the cutting board, and carefully poke the hole with the ice pick.  The leather or material of the belt should poke fairly easily, and then I just slid the ice pick through the hole to make it larger. Now try on the bracelt, making sure it fits the way you want.  Double check the length left - you may want it shorter.
 
4.  Now you can trim up the raw edge if needed, I wanted mine slightly rounded.
 
5. Inspect your bracelet. The belt I had was made of two materials, a vinyl and a fabric, which were sewn together down the belt.  Upon cutting the belt, the raw edge started to separate.  I simply used a craft glue to join them back together and let it dry for 30 minutes. 
 
6.  Feel free to add more accessories to your bracelet.  Teresa had a scrap piece of a lacy scarf tied around hers, dangling down in a loose knot about 5 inches. (I wish I would've taken a picture).  I like mine more simple and plain.  Wah-Lah!  You're done!
 
Now you have a STYLISH-ONE-OF-A-KIND-ECCENTRIC-ACCESSORY PIECE!  And YOU did it YOURSELF!
 
         
 

2 comments:

  1. What a creative idea. I may have to steal my dad's leather hole punch for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a leather hole punch! If you make an upcycled bracelet, Liesa, please send me a picture on here. We would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete