Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Today's Healthy Breakfast Product Review

WHAT'S FOR BREAKFAST?
 
 Today I tried a new product (for me): 
 Planters NUT-trition Energy Mix Berry Nut
on Whole Grains Oatnut Toast
 
and my staple breakfast drink: 
 Vanilla Silk Light Soymilk mixed with Carnation Breakfast Essentials - No Sugar Added 
THE SPREAD:
I decided to try the Planter Nut-rition Energy Mix spread because I had a coupon.  I could choose from the Berry Mix,  Cinnamon Raisin Granola Nut or Banana Granola Nut. 
My review: It is basically peanut butter with nuts and berries.  It went on very thick because it is so chunky, with dried cranberries and roasted peanuts.  Upon reading the ingredients there are no other berries or nuts involved.  Maybe they should have called it "Cranberry Peanut" spread? I was hoping to eat it plain on the bread, since I'm trying to eat healthier and avoid added sugars, but it was just too dry for me, so I added Blueberry Jam.  It was "OK" but nothing special, I keep dried berries and nuts on hand, so I'll probably top the peanut butter myself next time.  I give it 2 1/2 stars.
 
THE DRINK:
I have been drinking two cups of Silk Soy Milk mixed with one  Carnation Breakfast Essentials packet every morning for the past two years.  I love it! Each drink gives me a whopping 17 grams of protein to start the day off.  The total calories is 200. Add a few icecubes and  I always swallow down my daily pills with this drink. Yummm!  Sometimes I will jazz it up by adding some frozen fruit and yogurt and mix it in the blender.  I use the "no sugar added" because I am diabetic.  I just don't feel right if I haven't had my breakfast drink to start me out each day.  I give this combination 5 stars! 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried soy milk but a lot of my veggie/vegan friends love it- as well as almond milk. When you're the daughter of a dairyman it's hard to turn your back to cow's milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, don't want to upset your dad. I switched to Soy when I found out I was lactose intolerant. I really like it.

      Delete